Today was filled with driving, learning, and beautiful, beautiful creation viewing. We went with a ministry partner today to the jungle. We drove about 3 hours to meet up with some other locals and then drove another hour up into the hills to reach a certain tribe. This tribe is of the Mongolian descent and was only discovered by the Forestry Dept. in 1964. Crazy! Their entire tribe population numbers at approx. 1800 we were told. Now, India has allowed Nepalese to move to this tribal area and to intermarry with the Toto tribe to try to build up its population again. Such a unique situation. This tribe has recently heard the Good News and some people did decide to follow Christ, but there was not much follow-up with those new believers. So, now the people who are trying to reach this tribe is starting back at square one, from what we understand as to how to enter this village successfully. That is one reason why we went there today, to meet and encourage these believers who are targeting this tribe. We truly felt like we were living straight out of the Jungle Book and that Mogli was going to come and greet us at any point. Especially when we saw the trees that were in the jungle, etc. We heard a wild elephant in the bushes and the people were telling us stories about the wild tigers that roam around. We saw the big stands/towers that people sat perched up in at night so that they could be on the look out for the wild elephants and tigers, etc. We were just like, "NO WAY!!" We definitely felt like little kids again at the zoo....but even better this time around!
About Me
- Nick & Emily
- This is a blog about us and the adventures we travel through. We hope that you are able to enjoy and in some way find yourself going along this adventure with us.
Monday, May 10, 2010
Day Trip to the Toto Tribe
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
As always... a good story with GREAT pictures to go with it. We are enjoying your adventure!
Love,
Brooke
Wow !!! yes, you both are on quite an adventure and God is using you in such a mighty way...I am so proud of you both. I love all of the pics, you let us all back home share these times with you. Keep blogging.
Love,
Grandma Carla and Bob
You guys are awesome, and I love this post. I want to go there!!!
Did you really like the lychee? I'm nervous to try it. Doesn't it look like an eyeball???
Brandy; I'm so glad I ate it before you said that b/c that is gross! I really did like it; super juicy, it just has a massive pit in the middle. Hope to see you guys this summer! Love you all!
This just may be my favorite post yet! Love the pics! If you guys feel like giants, I'd be a circus act over there! haha.
We tried lychee in Guatemala and you're right, they're super tasty! And I love the bright, tentacle-y skins on them!
That is SO cool that you got to visit the tribe! I laughed a lot about you feeling like you're in the Jungle Book with Mowgli and all. I didn't know that people actually live in the jungle like that with all the wild animals. I'd be scared for sure!
Love you guys so much and praying for you!
Post a Comment