I just love my husband a whole, whole, whole lot.
OH man, are these the most comfy pants in the world, or what!! There are a ton of hippies that pass through this city; therefore there is a big market for clothing for them. I am not going to lie, I kind of enjoy it. I bought these pants at a hippy store and I thoroughly enjoy them.
I have learned a lot about marriage within the Indian culture here. I have been asked numerous times while out practicing language why I do not where Indian marriage symbols. At first, I felt like it was another part of my identity that I felt like I had to lose in order to conform here, but I really do think that the Lord has opened my perspective of this. I now feel like I am taking on more establishing who I am with the culture instead of losing myself within it. Wedding rings do not mean much within the marital realm here and it took me awhile to understand that. I finally bought a package of "bindis" to wear, and I wear two ankle bracelets to show that I am married. Most women along with a bindi wear a red line of powder on the top of their forehead, but I do not do that b/c I do not have the powder.

9 comments:
I'm wondering about the marriage thing too. Today I got asked some questions by 5 ladies standing all around me.
The main one was why do I have one toe ring and not two. I like toe rings, so I hope to find some matching ones I like--wish I could shop at the silver store with you.
They also asked me about a necklace, bangles, nose piercing, bindi, talik (sp?) and then explained which ones were important and which weren't. Whew! What cultural talk today for me.
Nick's are in that one pic looks like the "stretch" due on Fantastic 4!
Lance
So very interesting! You are teaching us so much about the culture of India...and we love it!
~Brooke
You are so cute Em, I love the ankle bracelets and I like toe rings too although I haven't worn mine in a long time...guess I am getting too old. Ha Ha God Bless.
Love your blog !!!
Grandma Carla and Bob
Emily, I just use a red lipstick as the red powder in my hair...it stays in better especially when you sweat! :)
Lipstick is disgusting! don't use that! They have something called "Liquid Sindoor" - women use it instead of the powder (it's messy). You can get it in red or maroon.
One toe-ring means you're a prostitute in some places in India.
Love you so much and miss you guys a lot! Hope to see you when we come that way in June Maybe????
Love the Hippie pants! :)
I use liquid sindoor. It's great. It goes on like lip gloss and dries like face paint ;) I always get the kind with glitter in it too :) Makes it cooler :)
Post a Comment