
Pigeon Suicide, as Nick called it. We are not sure what this is about, or the backstory I should say, but it is of high worth for a picture.

One of the many puppies we have sympathy for. They are so tiny and I just want to take them home and feed them...sort of.

These are some great people. We went on our boat ride with them. The guy on the left is from the brahmin caste (high caste) and became a believer but he still dresses traditionally, etc.

We saw these two women with their babies; they were very fancy in clothing and beautiful. They were there to "dedicate" I guess you could say, their babies to the river.

You can buy these plastic bottles and fill them up with water. Many people do and they save them for a year so that if there is any sickness/health issues in that family they can sprinkle that water on them or themselves to be healed.

This is a painting of Shiva, this is the main god that is worshipped here. The Ganga river is believed to flow from his head and they want to drink/bathe in that sweet nectar as I have heard it.

We got out of the boat and walked down part of the river. So many colors, I loved it!

You can see above a fire. This is one of the many ceremonies or "cremations" that are happening. They make a mini bonfire type thing and they put the bodies inside. It was quite a surreal feeling when we passed these sites.

You can see the wood stacked up. This is for the burning of bodies at the river. Many people get brought to the river so they can be burned, we saw a dead man who was being wrapped and covered in flowers at the river so that he could then be burned.

A falling temple. There's definitely a story behind it, but it is long.

A boat getting attacked by a flock of birds. Good thing it was not ours!

All the beautiful colors of India. This is the scenic route alongside the River. Many temples, hotels, etc.

Above: men, (like hindu priests) sit and do their own type of worship services.

Boats everywhere.

Sites along the river, these are different "ghats"

These are the sites that hurts my heart to watch. Women bathing in the holy river, washing their sins away.

Cows. everywhere still yet. Even, or perhaps especially at the Ganga.

Above: People sitting on the steps of the Ganga finishing/starting bathing. There are miles of steps that lead into the water. It is truly an amazing place to see.
This past Sunday we took a boat ride down the Ganges River, the holiest river in India. It was quite an experience on many different levels. For one, there is the historical side. Hearing out guide talk about the Kings that have reigned in this city, the religions founded here, etc. The amount of people that worship and bathe in this river is unreal. Devoted Hindus come to this river to be cleansed by the "holy water." People from all of the world come to this river to worship; this is the city that every Hindu desires to die in because they can directly go to heaven. As I was boating down this river I almost didn't know how to pray, as ridiculous as that is. There were just so many people that need to hear the Good New of Jesus Christ. To see people desperately begging their gods to save them and to appease them by offering sacrafice...my heart breaks and it is a helpless feeling I guess. It is at this point I have to remind myself that Jesus can do anything that He wants; He is ALL powerful. It was a beautiful morning on the river; we had an opportunity to go to the other "vacant" side of the river and sing praises to our God and to pray over this city with fellow believers. It was amazing. God is so good, and I pray, oh I pray that He will become known over ALL of these other gods that are being worshipped...that He would heal this land.
6 comments:
We join you in that prayer! (And, no surprise, I'd want to take that puppy home too!)
Love,
Brooke
Thinking and praying for you both.
We Love You!
Mom and Dad
Nick and Emily,
I love hearing about your time while you are stepping out and doing God's will. I think it is wonderful for you as a couple to do this together. I pray God keeps you save and strong!
Love,
Abbie Haden and Family :)
Wow...I'm speechless. The pictures, your words...all of it. Em, I seriously was moved. I literally am incapable of crying (don't ask, idk why lol) but if I could, this would've moved me to tears. I had to read over the picture comments and your writing several times to take it all in....The passion in that one little paragraph...oh, man...there is no doubt anywhere in my mind that God picked the right people to bring his hope to India. I love you both so much! Praying for you every day!
<3 Callie
Hey girl, just came over to your blog to catch up this morning! I miss you! You were such an awesome running buddy. I hope you guys are doing well-I love your pictures. I'd love to get your skype name and see if we can chat sometime :) Maybe send it via fb? Do you have our blog? I can totally relate to the long process it takes to do EVERYTHING! haha sojournerdiaries(dot)blogspot(dot)com
Love,
Melissa
I actually have a funny story to add here: Right before I left I was hanging out w/ my little brother and he was really upset about something and I asked him what was bothering him and he said 'KK, I don't want them to strap you to a raft and light your body on fire and float it down a river when you die over there'
I had to explain that I wasn't going there and that they would fly my body back home and have a regular funeral IF I died over here and he was very relieved.
I thought it was just funny how he was expecting me to die. Weirdo.
Keep the posts coming! You guys are def. better at keeping up with it than I am! Love you both!
Post a Comment