About Me

My photo
This is a blog about us and the adventures we travel through. We hope that you are able to enjoy and in some way find yourself going along this adventure with us.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Hello to all,
You are probably getting ready to wind down for the night as I write this. I have not taken the time to write...just to write. That is one thing that is hard to get accustomed to here, the time difference. When we think about it or want to talk to friends and family they are already sleeping or vice versa. Many of the times this puts a large damper on communication here. As I sit and drink my coffee this morning I think about the reality of us having lived here for over one year. Pagal henna??? (that's Hindi for 'crazy, isn't it??) Now that we have 2 students working with us here I am quickly reminded of America and how much we have not been in an American setting. Of course we have Americans here who we work with, but when you are here for a certain amount of time you all end up in the same boat, and you become some Indian variation of yourself. For instance when I skype with my wonderful sister and I catch myself bobbing my head side to side how they do here. Or, I catch myself answering her by saying, "ha, ha, ha"....that is yes in Hindi. Or I say "theek, theek, theek"...which is okay, okay, okay in Hindi. And I catch myself and I think, "what is this??" But then I appreciate how embedded these people and their language are in my heart. I am going to severely miss my life here as we make our way out and back to America this coming October. Our time here seems to be quickly moving and I often feel like I cannot catch my breath one way or another.
It is great to think about home and reuniting with family of course! Yet, on the other hand we struggle when we think about it. When we left home, for us time there stands still. And we know that everybody else's life has continued to move and change as it should. So in a sense to go home is starting over. Most of our friends have left and have picked up their lives and have moved on and that is difficult to accept many times. Starting school again is exciting and not at the same time too. It is easy for us to become overwhelmed at the vastness of the question "what in the world do we do and where do we start?" We received some great advice a few days ago from a man who has served here for quite sometime and this is in reference to going home in the fall and seeing what the Lord has for us there.
He said something like this, "Don't go home and try to play catch-up and don't get consumed with time. It is a new chapter in your life and focus on the vision that God has given you for His kingdom. " He went on to recall his time in the U.S. and how he was consumed with being a "good student" and such that he forgot about ministry, he says it perfectly, "I forgot . . .to be."
How easy is this? When I so often think about myself and my life, it is all separated into these different segments of school, work, ministry, etc. I know the Lord is teaching me while I am here that it all flows together. What is ministry? And why do I have it casted as an after school, after work activity? Social ministry is not what I desire. What is the command that Jesus has called? The Great Commission. Matthew 28:19-20. It is in whatever I choose to do, whatever path I walk down, etc. etc. that I am still to submit to this command. What is my end goal, my hope? For the world to know Him and for all to hear? Then I believe it as "as I am going" walking with Christ and sharing about what He has done for us that will further His Kingdom. My ambition is not in good deeds, social ministry, but in what He has commanded from His children.
I am most certainly reminded daily that I do not have life as we know it 'figured out', but I have learned a lot about obedience in this season of my life and cringe at the thought of back sliding to my old life of grayness, excuses, and a bleak perspective of God's kingdom.
I wanted to write to you to share my life now. I am thankful that I am learning these things in this season of life and it it is good. Certainly painful at times, but the refining process is so hopeful and deserves appreciation. Feel free to comment, ask questions about India, what we do, etc. etc.!!!!!!!!! I love feedback!

5 comments:

Megan Stephens said...

em, love the new background and love how eloquent this post is. it's good to take time to sit down and process through these thoughts. and it helps friends and family back home to know a little bit of what it's like. love you dog!

Anonymous said...

Ready to see you guys!!

Lance

carlamiles1540 said...

I really enjoyed this letter from you Emily, you bless my heart and I love you so much, I am so proud of you and Nick...I know you are looking forward to visiting your family in the U.S. very soon. Stay safe.
With Love, Grandma Carla and Bob

Bran said...

I ALWAYS love hearing your thoughts and you share from the heart!

Kristy Martin said...

Such a blessing for me to read your updates and hear and feel your heart speaking. God will guide and direct you each step as you continue to minister far away as well as when you return. We do miss you and continue to pray for one amazing God led couple. Love you guys!!!! Kristy Martin